With broken eye orbit what are my treatment options?

Dr. John Hoffmann
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Surgery or observe

It all depends on the size and location of the fractures.
Some orbit fractures do not surgery. Some will need surgery if they are extensive or have caused double vision. A c/t scan is needed to make an accurate diagnosis and treatment recommendations. A complete eye exam is also essential. You should consult with a facial surgeon who treats orbit fractures.

In brief: Surgery or observe

Dr. John Hoffmann
Dr. John Hoffmann
Dr. Geoffrey Kwitko
Ophthalmology

In brief: Blowout fracture

Most common bone broken in the orbit is the orbital floor or a blowout fracture.
It needs repair if the inferior rectus is trapped in the fracture and the eye cannot elevate , There is greater than 2 mm of enophthalmos. Or the eye is sunken in, or greater than 25% of the orbital floor is gone. Otherwise I would not treat

In brief: Blowout fracture

Dr. Geoffrey Kwitko
Dr. Geoffrey Kwitko
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Depends

If the bones are fractured but the eye untouched with normal vision you have some leeway but should be evaluated in an er or by your ophthalmologist to looks for muscle entrapment, bone displacement or vision threatening issues.
Treatment may include icing, pain relief, watchful waiting and sometimes operative repair of the bones.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine