How do I explain to my son what it means to have congenital hypothyroidism?

Dr. Cindy Juster
In brief: Low thyroid function
'congenital' means it's present at birth, and hypothyroidism is when the thyroid gland (which is at the front base of the neck) isn't producing enough of the chemicals it should.
This condition requires treatment with thyroid hormone to replace what the thyroid isn't making.

In brief: Low thyroid function
Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Cindy Juster
In brief: Be age specific
In the early childhood years, simple is best.
If your kid still believes in the tooth fairy, it is not time for elaborate charts or big terms. A simple"thats the way you are"& "mommy wants you to take this med " should do. After 7-9y, most kids can handle a longer words & an explanation of the need for the med.

In brief: Be age specific
Dr. Cindy Juster