My fiance has basilar skull fracture and now I wonder what I am getting into. Will this affect his ability to work?

Mabye. He should get immediate attention in an er. The dr there can best judge what impact this will have on him [and your relationship].
Basilar skull fx. Most basilar skull fractures heal on their own without long-term adverse effects. The most significant part of the injury is the concussion to the back of the head, which usually resolves. In some cases there may be a loss of smell and/or vertigo, which can be permanent in a few people. In severe fractures, there may be leakage of spinal fluid which would need to be surgically repaired.