My daughter has deep venous thrombosis. Will this affect her health?

Dr. Ted King
Phlebology

In brief: Compression

One of the best things your daughter can do, besides taking blood thinners, is to wear graduated compression stockings.
She can decrease her risk of getting post thrombotic syndrome by 50% if she wears 30-40 mm hg, knee high, graduated compression stockings for 2 years after having her dvt.

In brief: Compression

Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. William Lizarraga

In brief: I agree

With dr. Kopes-kerr. I would add that she is at risk for future clots as well, so depending on the circumstances, should have a low threshold for being evaluated for leg swelling (especially one sided) down the road and shortness of breath.
Some people require life long blood thinners.

In brief: I agree

Dr. William Lizarraga
Dr. William Lizarraga
Dr. Colin Kerr

In brief: Deep venous clot

Deep venous thrombosis (as opposed to a superficial vein clot) should be treated with blood thinners like warfarin.
If your daughter is appropriately treated and monitored for at least 3 months, there should be no serious long-term effects to her health. She may, however, develop persistent swelling, particularly in the legs, as the clot may damage the valves in the vein with resulting swelling.

In brief: Deep venous clot

Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr