Trying to learn all I can about chilblains. My grandchild has it. Please help.?

Dr. Frank Pinto
Dermatology
In brief: May need tests
Most cases of chilblains (pernio) in children are idiopathic (no underlying cause).
However some cases can be associated with other diseases including lupus, certain forms of anemia, and abnormal proteins in the blood that are cold-sensitive (e.g.: cryglobulinemia). These can be ruled out with blood tests. Speak to your grandchild's pediatrician and/or a dermatologist.

In brief: May need tests
Dr. Frank Pinto
Dr. Frank Pinto
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology
In brief: Pernio
Chillblains (also called pernio) are caused by exposure of the feet to cold and humidity in someone predisposed to it.
Redness, itching, blisters, and inflammation are the most common symptoms. In extreme cases the skin can break down and ulcerate. Treat it by warming the feet, and by avoiding cold in the first place.

In brief: Pernio
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern