Of all the related conditions, is chikungunya one of the better or worse ones to have, in terms of effects on health and well-being?

Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease
In brief: Bad Disease
Patients of mine who have had this would rather have had dengue fever multiple times.
This is not a fun illness.

In brief: Bad Disease
This is not a fun illness.
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology
In brief: Depends...
...On who the patient is, and what diseases you're comparing it to.
For children and adolescents it is typically mild and self-limiting. In old people with other medical problems it can cause significant issues.

In brief: Depends...
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Martin Raff
The question was vague and so was my answer. Yours may have been better. Have you ever seen patients with Chikungunya? Was not uncommon in GI's in Vietnam
Dr. Marybeth Lambe
Travel Medicine
In brief: Prolonged Joint pain
Even though it is almost never fatal, the protracted joint pain lasting weeks, months or even a year or more & the extreme fatigue with paradoxical insomnia, frustrating altered taste long after fever, terrible headache, rash, chills, muscle pains have gone especially for the middle age and older unlucky soul, makes me agree with the authors above.
Chikv is not an illness for the faint of heart.

In brief: Prolonged Joint pain
Dr. Marybeth Lambe
Dr. Marybeth Lambe