Not sure why this happened, but doctor says I have cold sores. Am trying to figure out what it is before I tell my boss.?

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology

In brief: No need...

...To tell your boss, unless you want to.
Cold sores are caused by the herpes virus. Effective oral treatments are available by prescription. Topical treatments are, by and large, ineffective. Relax, not the end of the world.

In brief: No need...

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Specifically HSV-1 virus.
Dr. M. Christine Lee
Dermatology

In brief: Herpes simplex virus

Cold sores or fever blisters are caused by herpes simplex virus hsv-1 and 2.
It is contagious and usually transmitted or spread by direct contact with the virus. It is chronic so once someone has it, they always have it. It can be in remission without any symptoms and then flare when the person is stressed or tired. Most contagious when blisters are present but also contagious without any symptoms.

In brief: Herpes simplex virus

Dr. M. Christine Lee
Dr. M. Christine Lee
Dr. Cindy Juster