Looking forward to going on a trip to the beach with friends this year. Already started getting in shape. Now I've been told I have chronic granulomatous disease. How can I explain to them how I got it?

You don't have to. You do not have to explain anything to your friends unless you want to! Go and have a great time. You have had this since birth and probably a mild form if it has just recently been diagnosed. You will have to be more vigilant when you are feeling sick as you may need antibiotics for infections sooner than anyone else you know. See comment for more info.
Why explain? You don't have to explain anything if you don't want to; it's none of anyone's business. But are you sure the diagnosis is correct? CGD is quite rare; only about 20 cases are diagnosed in the US each year. Did a doctor diagnose it? Did you get a second opinion?