How would a doctor treat himself if he had basal cell carcinoma?

Pathology
In brief: Surgery
No fancy new topical creams for this doctor. Surgical excision for me, even if it's extremely early.
I'd be offered fancy microsurgery with a colleague checking each margin to produce the smallest possible scar. This matters to some folks but not to me. Just take the thing off and spare me the extra time and my third-party payer the expense. Cheers.

In brief: Surgery
Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Remove it...
Basal cell cancers need to be surgically removed as early as possible.
They don't tend to spread, so generally only surgical removal is necessary (no chemo therapy or radiation therapy.). If someone is exceedingly ill, nonsurgical therapies are sometimes considered.

In brief: Remove it...
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. John Hoffmann
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Like anyone else
Anyone with known skin cancer should get treatment from a dermatologist or a surgeon who is experienced in the management of skin cancer.

In brief: Like anyone else
Dr. John Hoffmann
Dr. John Hoffmann
Pathology
In brief: Local excision
Basal cell carcinomas can be cured by local excision.

In brief: Local excision
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery
In brief: Same way (s)
Surgery>radiation. New chemo-in-a-pill available for advanced cases.

In brief: Same way (s)
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Self treatment
There are several types and treatment would vary by presentation.
Very early forms could be treated with topical chemotherapy whereas others near critical structured would benefit from using the mohs technique.

In brief: Self treatment
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Steven Harris
Simple surgical removal works for the vast majority of basal cell skin cancers, except as Doctor Placik points out.
Dr. Annette Occhialini
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Depends
On where the basal cell carcinoma (bcc)is and how big it is.
There are multiple ways to treat including excision, topical medications and radiation therapy. Excision is easy but may not be feasable for all bcc. Medication may not be enough for larger leasions but works well for superficial bcc. Radiation is often used in areas that may not be amenable to excision.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Annette Occhialini
Dr. Annette Occhialini
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology
In brief: Surgery
He or she would go to a dermatologist and have the basal cell excised or curetted and cauterized.
Basal cell is one of the least aggressive of all cancers, but it needs to be removed before it can cause local destruction of skin structures.

In brief: Surgery
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern