How do people treat brown recluse spider bite?

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology
In brief: NOT surgery
The drug Dapsone is often advocated, but there is no firm evidence that it helps.
Nitroglycerine patches may be effective; brown recluse venom constricts blood vessels and Nitroglycerin dilates them, but again, no proof that it helps. Surgery is ineffective and may actually worsen the outcome.

In brief: NOT surgery
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Bouvier
I agree. But to add, one of the other main problems with brown recluse or any Loxosceles genus spider (and some other species as well) is that the active enzyme that does most of the damage is called Sphingomyelinase D and there is no antivenin thus produced to counteract this enzyme. It gets into the tissue surrounding the bite so quickly that all methods to normally destroy a protein won't work and just cause more tissue damage to the area. The body eventually destroys the enzyme or it breaks down and then the wound will heal from the inside out (usually very slowly). Watching for secondary infection is the most effective treatment.
Dr. Thomas Balshi
Dermatology
In brief: Ulcer
If the lesion is small, it will likely resolve on its own, but often the skin breaks down leading to an ulcer which can become infected.
When patients present to my office with recluse spider bites i inject the area with inta lesional steriods to blunt the inflammator process and usually start an antibiotic like doxycycline.

In brief: Ulcer
Dr. Thomas Balshi
Dr. Thomas Balshi