I can't get the sand out of my husband's foot wound- should I take him to the er?

Dr. Michael Miller
Wound care

In brief: More trauma-bad

When there is skin injury, inflammation occurs which means the area becomes red, warm, tender and with swelling.
Fluid collects under the skin layers and then leaks out the open wound. The fluid contains water, protein, electrolytes and cells and washes out the wound of foreign material. This natural process aids healing. As it heals, the drainage will decrease. Trauma from washing is a bad idea.

In brief: More trauma-bad

Dr. Michael Miller
Dr. Michael Miller
Dr. Neil Hecht
Podiatry

In brief: Wound care

A wound that is contaminated with sand, dirt, debris, clothing or other material needs to be thoroughly cleansed by irrigating the region with saline (sterile salt water solution).
An experienced doctor with wound care training should be consulted for evaluation of the wound to see if any other structures are damaged. Then treatment can begin. Call your podiatrist to see if he/she treats this.

In brief: Wound care

Dr. Neil Hecht
Dr. Neil Hecht
Dr. Robert Dorsey
Wound care

In brief: Wash it

Wash it with soap and water and then do the wound care as ordered.

In brief: Wash it

Dr. Robert Dorsey
Dr. Robert Dorsey
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine