Was planning to see classmates at upcoming 20th reunion. Now I am hearing my best friend has colitis. What is that?

In brief: Colitis ?
Colitis, simply means inflammation of the colon.
There are both chronic and acute forms. Acute forms are usually a bacterial or viral infection of the colon and can be treated with antibiotics or simply hydration, but can also be ischemic colitis involving a lack of blood flow to the colon. Ulcerative colitis and crohn's colitis are chronic forms. Surgery may be required in some situations.

In brief: Colitis ?
Dr. Gregory Ginn
Dr. Gregory Ginn
Dr. Rafael Lugo
Surgery
In brief: Infection
It is an infection or inflammation of the colon.
Can be bacterial, viral or autoimmune. First two can be contagious.

In brief: Infection
Dr. Rafael Lugo
Dr. Rafael Lugo
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery