My son has colorectal cancer. Where do I start?

Dr. Richard Orr
Surgery - Oncology
In brief: Surgical oncologist
Go to a surgeon who treats a lot of colorectal cancer - a surgical oncologist, colorectal surgeon, or an experienced general surgeon.
Surgery is almost always a major part of the treatment process, but he will need tests (colonoscopy if not already done), ct scan, cea. The surgeon is the best expert to be the "captain of the ship". He/she can explain and consult with other oncologists if needed.

In brief: Surgical oncologist
Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Either surgical oncologist or medical oncologist could be the best expert to be the captain of the ship. Many times, it requires multi disciplinary approaches to be done- especially with rectal cancer.
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: Colon ca
Sorry to hear that.
The most important now is to find the stage of disease as treatment will depend on the stage of the cancer and also the type. See your doctor and have a detail discussion on this. For more info- www.Nccn.Com , re- patient resource. Consider genetic evaluation if age is 40 or younger and/or if strong family history of cancer to rule out hereditary syndrome -i.e. Fap/hnpcc etc.

In brief: Colon ca
Sorry to hear that.
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho
is this colon or rectal cancer? treatment is a bit different here.
Dr. Jan Rakinic
Surgery - Colorectal
In brief: Colorectal surgeon
I advise having him seen by a colorectal surgeon, who is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of colorectal cancers.
He or she will also take a family history to assess the risk of other family members. Most colorectal cancers are curable when diagnosed early; most do not require a permanent colostomy. Good luck to you and your son.

In brief: Colorectal surgeon
Dr. Jan Rakinic
Dr. Jan Rakinic