I've got anal fissure. Now what?

In brief: Anal fissure
Can be painful. Avoid straining during bowel movements.
Try witch hazel, sitz baths, nitropaste can work but can give you a headache and cause hypotension. Try fiber it softens the stool and can help.

In brief: Anal fissure
Dr. Alexander Barkan
Dr. Alexander Barkan
2 comments
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Be sure to be drinking at least 80-100 ounces of non caffeinated, non alcoholic fluids and topical steroid creams as well as nitropaste can help. I prefer to avoid anything that has witch hazel or alcohol in it when applied to an active fissure.
Dr. Gregory Ginn
Another form of treatment that is 90% effective in the healing of fissures is Botox injection to the internal sphincter of the anus. I have used this technique for 15 years and have found it quite effective. There are few side effects, but may take up to three in-office injections to produce long term cure. Dr. Kaplan's comments were right on for long term results with or without Botox.
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal
In brief: Heal it
Hi fiber diet, 80-100 ounces of non caffeinated, non alcoholic fluids per day, topical prescription agents and if not healed in 6 weeks, may require surgery which is very successful when performed by an experienced colon and rectal surgeon with very low recurrence rates or complications.

In brief: Heal it
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery