Nurse just called to set up appointment for my son. How do I tell him he might have autism spectrum disorder and needs to see doctor?

Neurodevelopmental . Neuro-developmental problems like autism spectrum are just that developmental problems and should not be thought of as pathology. We have yet to understand enough about the pathology of the brain/mind to even have a specific test for these disorders. An extremely important part of intervention is psycho-educational counseling for both the parents and child.
Depends on age. What you tell a child depends on age &ability 2 understand. Most young autistic patients won't understand explanation- language is their problem. Older pdd pts sense they're different, but again the explanation depends mostly on the individual. This is something accomplished with doctor's help &guidance. You also seem to be getting ahead of yourself. Tell the child he will be visiting dr 2 play, .
Don't use diagnosis. Depending on his age, it might be better to not mention the diagnosis, but motivate him by telling him that you want to do some testing to determine if there are some ways (training, medication, counseling) that could help him be more successful in school, with friends, etc. (choosing areas of his life that he knows are out of balance and in which he would like relief). Better to avoid labeling.
State your concerns. Without knowing the age of your child and what specific behaviors you've noticed to make you concerned, it's hard to give detailed advice, but it's always appropriate and helpful to let doctors know in advance why you want your child to be seen. The doctor might change the length of visit or even suggest that you see someone else with more specific expertise.