My lover has just been diagnosed with arteriovenous malformations. I am worried but she acts like it is not a problem. Who can tell me what it means?

In brief: Knot of blood vessel

Cerebral avms are a knot of blood vessels in which there is a direct connection between the arteries and veins.
They are often congenital but can develop after head trauma. They are often discovered during the work-up for a seizure and are a risk for brain bleeds. Depending on the size and location, they can be treated surgically, endovascularly or with radiation - or a combination of those.

In brief: Knot of blood vessel

Dr. Jennifer Berkeley
Dr. Jennifer Berkeley
Dr. Larry Armstrong
Neurosurgery

In brief: Twisted vessels

Arteriovenous malformations are twisted arteries and veins which can grow and have aneurysms associated with them. They have brain tissue in the middle of the twisted vessels.
The danger is hemorrhage. They cause weak walled veins to become engorged and enlarged under arterial flow as the two of them become connected. Interventional neurosurgeons treat these well.

In brief: Twisted vessels

Dr. Larry Armstrong
Dr. Larry Armstrong
Dr. Adam Levy