Are there any steps I can take to prevent mild atrial fibrillation from getting worse?

Dr. Philip Ovadia
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Stay or get healthy

There are many things that may worsen atrial fibrillation.
These include excessive alcohol use, caffeine and being overweight. If any of these apply to you, try to improve them. You should also work with your doctor to ensure you don't have an underlying heart valve problem, coronary artery disease or a thyroid disorder that is causing atrial fibrillation.

In brief: Stay or get healthy

Dr. Philip Ovadia
Dr. Philip Ovadia
Dr. Ryan Cooley
Have your doctor make sure you don't have sleep apnea
Dr. Ryan Cooley
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

Downstream treatments are considered to have small benefits based on clinical studies once af is diagnosed (in other words damage is already done).
I do believe that therapeutic lifestyle changes are important for some. These would include minimizng alcohol, controlling weight, getting adequate exercise, controlling blood pressure, and assessing and treating sleep apnea.

Dr. Ryan Cooley
Dr. Ryan Cooley