Why don't men want to go to doctors? My husband has congestive heart failure, and I feel I have to drag him in to be seen. What will happen to him without treatment?

Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Fear
Without treatment of significant congestive heart failure you can expect worsening disability and hastening death.
As to your question as to why men don't want to go to the doctor it is usually fear of having to deal with the unknown. Reassure him, tell him that you are with him all the way and perhaps he will listen.

In brief: Fear
Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
2 comments
Dr. Mark Stern
Fear of being perceived as weak, or less masculine
Dr. Bennett Werner
Many people, perhaps especially, men, deal with stressful situations by using the defense mechanism called denial. Denial is ignoring that the problem exists.
Dr. Mark Rasak
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Worsening symptoms
Men tend to avoid drs out of fear, loss of controll, distrust, etc.
Sadly most guys will treat their automobiles to better care and maintainence than their bodies. If his heart failure goes untreated he will have progressive and worsening symptoms. Without the ace inhibitors and beta blockers he will have have a higher mortality rate. More frequent hospital admissions and poorer quality of life.

In brief: Worsening symptoms
Dr. Mark Rasak
Dr. Mark Rasak
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology