I have polycystic ovaries and high levels of shbg. I am showing signs of high testosterone (excess body hair, acne, absent periods, etc). Why is this?

Part of the disease. Unfortunately it is part of the disease process , in addition most with pco will tend to be obese , irregular periods , will have fertility problems , along with associated diabetes and hypertension , do not get discouraged , now good treatments are available , now it is the time follow with your doctor closely with out missing appointments.