Sun exposure? Or phototherapy? Which would be the best treatment for pityriasis lichenoides for black skin?

Both, but. Both have similar effects and wavelengths of light that can be useful. However, it's a bit more difficult to control the harmful effects and 'dose' of sunlight. Also, if you have a week of rainy days, you interrupt your therapy. While one or two days without treatment may not be a big deal, the best way to treat is a consistent schedule, which would be available with phototherapy.