How do you treat calciphylaxis?

Dr. Scott Bolhack
Wound care
In brief: Calciphylaxis
There are two components: first, your renal doctor will need to look into correctable biochemical abnormalities to see if there is something to be corrected like calcium, phosphate, and parathyroid hormone levels; second, the wounds will need careful treatment in a wound center by a physician that is willing to work with you over long term.

In brief: Calciphylaxis
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Reza Bayati
Wound care
In brief: Underlying cause,HD
The patients who have had wounds with underlying calciphylaxis, they usually have severe pain, & not healing despite taking all conventional measures.
Although it is uncommon I have treated several patients in recent months. We must exclude infection, optimize dialysis and other measures for calciphylaxis, while take "vigilant approach" for the wound care, avoid unnecessary debridement and ?Hbo.

In brief: Underlying cause,HD
Dr. Reza Bayati
Dr. Reza Bayati
Dr. David Wishnew
Wound care
In brief: Calciphylaxis
The only real way to treat calciphylaxis is to treat the wounds and dead tissue.
By removing the dead tissue, and working with both the renal and wound care specialists, these wounds may be healed...Although this may take quite a long while.

In brief: Calciphylaxis
Dr. David Wishnew
Dr. David Wishnew
Dr. David Hardin
Wound care
In brief: Gentle treatment
Calciphylaxis is a very difficult wound but not impossible.
First calcium and PTH must be regulated. The wound is very sensitive to trauma and debridement needs to be kept to a minimum. Great care in dressing choice must be taken to avoid any sticking. I use moist aquacell which i flush off with saline to change. There is limited evidence for hbot although its pathology makes it logical.

In brief: Gentle treatment
Dr. David Hardin
Dr. David Hardin