My doctor says I have atopic dermatitis, but I don't understand. What does it mean?

Dr. Laura Webb

In brief: Dry sensitive skin

Atopic dermatitis is a chronic skin condition that involves itchy rashes and dry sensitive skin.
Often foods, environmental allergies and dry air can make it worse. It will wax and wane and can be treated daily with good moisturization and lubrication to keep the skin soft. When areas become inflammed sometimes steroid creams are needed and if the skin is infected sometimes antibiotics are used.

In brief: Dry sensitive skin

Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Pamela Moore
A good way to think of this is the fact that we call atopic dermatitis, also known as eczema, "the itch that rashes." This means dry skin itches and then with repeated scratching, the rash gets worse and worse. By using a moisturizer regularly, sometimes up to 3-4 times a day if needed, it keeps the skin from getting dry and itching. Thus, it helps prevent the rash.
Dr. Cornelia Franz

In brief: Food Allergies

While no one knows exactly what causes atopic dermatitis, it is an allergic condition.
Many people have subtle food allergies and an elimination diet may be productive.Eliminating milk and gluten may help. Probiotcs and cod liver oil may also produce improvement in some people. I have also seen success with traditional chinese medicine. All the other treatments mentioned do relieve symptoms.

In brief: Food Allergies

Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cindy Juster