Looking forward to going on a trip to the beach with friends this year. Already started getting in shape. Now i've been told I have asthma. How can I explain to them how I got it?

Dr. Michael P Vaughn
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: New asthma
Asthma can be triggered by physical activity.
It is possible that you past exercise regimens never crossed the threshold that would trigger asthma. The use of albuterol prior to exercise prevents the symptoms of asthma in the great majority of cases.

In brief: New asthma
Dr. Michael P Vaughn
Dr. Michael P Vaughn
Dr. Sue Ferranti
In brief: Unknown...
It is not known how a patient gets asthma.
It can have an allergic etiology but sometimes there is no allergy component. Sxs are related to airway inflammation and bronchospasm and treatment is aimed at controlling these sxs. Good luck!

In brief: Unknown...
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Shontae Buffington