If we treat my child's contact dermatitis will it be gone, or do I need to keep worrying?

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Contact Dermatitis

U need to know what is causing the contact dermatitis in order to avoid it.
Best way is through patch testing with an allergist or a dermatologist. Classic causes are nickel in cheap jewelry. Another classic example is the rash procured by poison ivy. Could be anything though, that is why finding the cause and knowing what to avoid is the best solution.

In brief: Contact Dermatitis

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Travel Medicine

In brief: No worry, but...

I would not "worry" about your child, but it would be reasonable to explore what gave him/her the dermatitis in the first place so he or she can be taught to 1) avoid it, 2) intervene early (if appropriate, such as washing off poison oak oil), and 3) treat early, if necessary.
Educate and empower at as young an age as possible!

In brief: No worry, but...

Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Dr. Jonathan Jassey