What's the upshot of getting breast lump?

Definitive Diagnosis. Any new lump in the breast should prompt physician evaluation. Based upon examination findings, your doctor may order tests such as an ultrasound+/-mammogram, and refer you to a breast specialist. If the lump is suspicious, a simple needle biopsy may be performed under local anesthesia in the office for definitive diagnosis. If the lump is deemed non-suspicious, short-term follow-up is advised.
Depends. The lump can be benign (not harmful, normal, not dangerous) or significant or serious. First step is to have your doctor check it out. Then tests may be ordered for more information. Ultrasound, mri, or biopsy depending on how suspicious the lump is. Please see your doctor.