What is balanitis?

Penile inflammation. Balanitis is inflammation & swelling of the glans (tip) of the penis. If foreskin is involved, it's balanoposthitis.
Inflamed glans penis. It's caused by sweat retention, moisture, warmth, ; the overgrowth of local microorganisms, leading to intertrigo syndrome as that under female breasts, in armpits and groin folds between thighs ; external genitalia of men ; women, notably in those being obese. Similarly, chronic skin inflammation in glans penis in those with redundant foreskin with poor hygiene occurs as balanitis.