Growing up I saw first-hand what it was like to have cirrhosis. How can I avoid getting it like my parent?

Cirrhosis. Don't drink, do drugs or eat in excess and get obese. That right there should lower your risks dramatically. Good luck and take care of yourself.
No Alcohol. Most common cause of cirrhosis of liver is acohol. So avoid drinking alcohol.
Many causes. Cirrhosis can be caused by chronic alcohol abuse, so avoiding excess intake of alcohol can be protective. Cirrhosis can also be caused by hepatitis b and c viruses that are spread by contact with blood and body fluids. These viruses can be avoided by receiving the hepatitis b vaccination, and avoiding IV drug use and unprotected sex.
Rarely inherited. There are only few inheritable conditions, and at 43 I assume you would know if you had any of those. Stay healthy, drink in moderation, be at a healthy weight and make sure you've been screened for viral hepatitis if there is any possibility you could be at risk.
Cirrhosis. Like drs. Villapana and aggarwal have mentioned, avoid those inciting agents and conditions that can cause the condition. A good herbal suplement to detoxify and protect your liver is milk thistle.