Sometimes I wake up with a very firm erection that won't go away for quite a while. Is this because my bladder is full in the mornings when I wake up and it is pressing on my penis making it firm?

In brief: Morning wood

This is normal. I don't think it relates to yor bladder.
..During sleep it is normal to get erections...It means he penis works !

In brief: Morning wood

Dr. Richard Sarle
Dr. Richard Sarle
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen

In brief: No

It is normal for males to have erections when the are asleep.
Assuming you are not taking any prescription medications. One medication, trazodone, has frequently been associated with erections that will not go away (called priapism) (can happen with other drugs too). This is a urologic emergency and can result in permanent damage. If this just happens when your asleep, it's normal.

In brief: No

Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
Dr. Peter Kurzweil