My hands and feet are generally very cold - I've been told by non-medical people that I have 'bad circulation' - anything I can do about this?

Yes, see your doctor. Bad circulation usually occurs in elderly people and it is usual to cause cold feet but it is unusual to cause cold hands. Low thyroid, low blood pressure, poor nutritions and a host of other conditions may be the cause.
Raynaud's syndrome? You possibly may have raynaud's phenomenon, a vasospastic disease often involving the hands and feet...Minimal exposure to cold such as washing hands can cause the symptoms to occur. But, must first rule out other underlying diseases. This can be treated with some medication such as Procardia (nifedipine) etc.. It is important to keep your digits warm. Check with your doc.. Cold hands--warm heart? Good luck..