Having a headace in the back of the head between the ear and the top of the spine for a half a day. Anyway to remove it withhout pills? Nap didn't help

Dr. James Marx
Pain Management

In brief: Try Local Therapy

Try icing or wam moist packs to the tender area.
I would prefer patients to use ice most often. Sometimes heat works when ice doesn't. You could also try topical non-steroidals(like voltarin or pennsaid) or otc meds (like aspercreme) applied directly to the overlying skin.

In brief: Try Local Therapy

Dr. James Marx
Dr. James Marx
Michael Rommen

In brief: Manipulation

It sounds like you have a muscle contraction tension headache.
Besides using very effective medications, you may also try the following: heat, massage and stretching. Manipulations are often very helpful and can be performed by physical therapists and skilled osteopathic physicians. Counseling can also help give you techniques for relaxation and biofeedback to reduce tension.

In brief: Manipulation

Michael Rommen
Michael Rommen
Answer assisted by Michael Rommen, Medical Student
Dr. Cindy Juster