I had surgery last year and now I have a keloid on my stomach. I am now pregnant, do I need to worry about it as I get bigger?

Dr. Barry Press
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Possibly

It depends on whether this is a true keloid or a hypertrophic scar. The difference is sometimes not clear, but a keloid generally extends beyond the limits of the original scar, the ht scar does not.
If the scar is just thickened, the stretching of the abdomen with pregnancy may actually thin it out. I wouldn't be too concerned about this.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology

In brief: No

There's no point in worrying about it; if it gets bigger, it gets bigger, and you'll deal with it after you deliver your baby.
But chances are quite good that it will not get bigger, and if it does, it will not affect your pregnancy or your child.

In brief: No

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery

In brief: No- worry cherishing

The most profound experience in your life.
Check with your ob- if ok w him/her use mederma. You could also use silicone topical products.

In brief: No- worry cherishing

Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Difficult to say

It is difficult to predict the behavior of a keloid.
It could get larger or remain stable.

In brief: Difficult to say

It could get larger or remain stable.
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Annette Occhialini
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: No

You don't need to be worring about this while you are pregnant.
I would protect the scar from the sun for a year. Massaging the scar may help flatten it out. You might also want to apply a topical silicone gel sheeting to the scar or use a topical silicone treatment such as scar gaurd. None of this will harm the baby and may improve the appearance of your scar. Congratulations!

In brief: No

Dr. Annette Occhialini
Dr. Annette Occhialini