I'm losing the sensitivity in my fingertips. I drop things, like keys or containers. My doctor says it's just aging. Is it? I have arthritis.

Dr. David Tuckman
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Not Just aging

This sounds like carpal tunnel syndrome.
See a hand surgeon for a diagnosis. There is treatment availble.

In brief: Not Just aging

Dr. David Tuckman
Dr. David Tuckman
Dr. Michio Abe

In brief: Numbness & weakness

You may have cervical radiculopathy, which is the compression of the cervical nerve roots due to disc protrusions or osteophytes (bone spurs) in the neural foramen (side holes) where the nerves exit the spinal canal.
It you may have peripheral nerve entrapments such as carpal tunnel syndrome. You may consider seeing another physician or ask your doctor for referral to see a neurologist.

In brief: Numbness & weakness

Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Robert Coats II
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Not just aging!

You likely have carpal tunnel syndrome (cts), which causes pain, numbness and tingling in the fingers.
In advanced cases, the tips of the thumb, index, long and 1/2 of the ring finger can become so numb, that using your hands becomes difficult. It is common to drop objects or be unable to button clothes, or grip objects. See a board certified orthopaedic hand surgeon for evaluation and treatment.

In brief: Not just aging!

Dr. Robert Coats II
Dr. Robert Coats II
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine