Do colon cancers randomly occur anywhere in the colon, or are they concentrated in the part closest to the rectum?

Marianne DiNapoli
In brief: More common distal
The most common site for colon cancer to appear is in the rectosigmoid colon, the end of the colon nearest to the rectum. If you are 50 or older, be sure to get a colonoscopy to screen for colon cancer.

In brief: More common distal
Marianne DiNapoli
Marianne DiNapoli
Answer assisted by Marianne Di Napoli, Medical Student
Dr. Gregory Ginn
I agree. However, 45% of colon cancers occur in the right colon which is of a larger diameter and usually not symptomatic. If you have family members that have had con CA, you might need to be screened earlier.....from personal experience and a strong family history of colon cancer, I had my first colonoscopy at age 40.
Dr. Colin Kerr
In brief: Colon cancer
Colon cancer can occur randomly in any part of the bowel.
Cancers on the left side of the colon are more common (70%) with about 30% occurring on the right side.

In brief: Colon cancer
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
In brief: Any place
Colon cancers can occur anywhere in the colon, but statistically in the us colon cancers do occur more often in the left side of the colon or sigmoid colon region.

In brief: Any place
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
Dr. Adam Smith