How can I smooth out bumps on my arms? Ii think they are clogged hair follicles. I've had it for a while on and off.

Dr. Bac Nguyen

In brief: Keratosis pilaris

You are correct in your description.
..Thickened hair follicles. It is genetically inheritted, common skin disorder which cannot be cured, but treated with topical emolients etc...Severe cases may benefit from retinoid compounds-- a type of acne med. Keeping the skin moist helps, thus is often softer in summer time due to sweating...

In brief: Keratosis pilaris

You are correct in your description.
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Swati Avashia
Your doctor can also write for AmLactin or LacHydrin lotion which can be helpful.
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology

In brief: See dermatologist

No one knows exactly what causes keratosis pilaris, but my personal opinion, based on my experience in treating it for 30+ years, is that it is basically eczema of the hair follicles.
It usually responds promptly to a mid-strength topical corticosteroid cream, which a dermatologist can prescribe for you.

In brief: See dermatologist

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology

In brief: Keratosis pilaris

Keratosis pilaris (kp) is a very common skin disorder seen in many people of all ages.
It is a benign condition that presents as numerous small, rough, red, or tan bumps primarily around hair follicles on the upper arms, legs, buttocks, and sometimes cheeks. Kp creates a "goose bumps, " "gooseflesh, " or "chicken skin" appearance on the skin. Use cerave sal which is otc.

In brief: Keratosis pilaris

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher