I just found out that my great grandfather and other members of the family have died from pkd, my dad has never been tested am I at risk?

Dr. John Hammes
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Yes you are.

If father has pkd, 50% chance that he passed it on to you;if not, very unlikely you have it.
Uncertain that you have to get tested, as little effective treatment for it and diagnosis= exclude insurance and some jobs. Reasonable to check BP and kidney fxn annually. If abnl, then ultrasound kidneys. Bpcontrol, cv risk reduction, monitor kidneys for failure=best outcomes.

In brief: Yes you are.

Dr. John Hammes
Dr. John Hammes
Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: POLYCYSTIC KIDNEYS

Polycystic kidney disease is a familial disese which is transmitted as autosomal dominant, which means there is one in two chances of inheriting this condition.
If you have family history pkd, all children need to be tested and i advice you get tested as well.It will show on an ultrasound exam and if diagnosed it can lead to kidney failure and you have to be on dialysis or renal pransplant.Get teste.

In brief: POLYCYSTIC KIDNEYS

Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Eric Weisman