How many miles to run a day?

Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Sports Medicine
In brief: I actually dissent
Having run for forty years, i believe that running does not have to cause injury if there is no intenal pathology.
I would start slow with a walk/ run combo. I would then gradually increase to 20-30 minutes running 3-5 times per week i think the duration or distance covered is more important than the speed. Oviously the speed will naturally increase with a training effect.

In brief: I actually dissent
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
2 comments
Dr. Cynthia Point
I am also a runner, and agree with Dr. Yoder
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
I used to run 2 miles every morning when I wanted to lose weight in my 20's. Dropped from 220 to 120 w/i a year. But would not do that today due to cold/exercise-induced asthma, bad ankles, pronation, etc. For me, at my age (and having spent 9 months in hospital 2 years ago) I'll stick with walking & pool aerobics. Guess it's a case of chacun à son goût.
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
In brief: Distance
Depending on your age & physical condition, walking may be a better choice as there is less impact on ankles, knees, & hips.
Distance may be less important that the speed with which you cover the distance. Try a mile at normal pace; work to decrease the time to do the mile. Pool aerobics are another low impact, healthful exercise.

In brief: Distance
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Running can also stretch breast ligaments (unless well supported), lead to bladder drop (cystocele) and other internal problems. Walking is much safer.