What causes the stiffness and discomfort after arthroscopic knee surgery is done for repairing a torn meniscus?

In brief: Trauma

To muscles, tendons, joint, meniscus and bony surfaces! the tissues are stretched, cauterized, and bruised.

In brief: Trauma

Dr. Creighton Wright
Dr. Creighton Wright
Dr. David Trettin
'Stiffness' after arthroscopic meniscal REPAIR is much more common than after arthroscopic menisectomy .When u repair the meniscus( cartilage ) you suture the meniscus back to it's outer ( peripheral)rim. Ideally, this is to the meniscocapsular junction. Since the meniscus has capsular ( joint lining)attachments the knee joint capsule is commonly "tightened" w/ meniscus REPAIR and occ. 'stiffer' .
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham

In brief: Normal sequellae

I do not do this procedure, but I do many laparoscopic procedures.
I would expect that the normal sequellea to the trauma of the arthroscopy would include some swelling and edema as well as some degree of inflammation. These changes would certainly cause some pain and stiffness, but should be fairly limited and transient.

In brief: Normal sequellae

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine