How do I know if my baby is well-positioned and latched on well during feedings?

Dr. Jennifer Mink

In brief: Swallowing, comfort

Your baby should be in a comfortable position, head not turned awkwardly.
You should see the swallowing action in the facial and throat muscles. The baby's lips should be flared outward and on the areola, not the nipple itself. After 20-30 seconds of skin tugging, you should not feel any discomfort at all. If something is not right, unlatch and start over.

In brief: Swallowing, comfort

Dr. Jennifer Mink
Dr. Jennifer Mink
Dr. Roy Benaroch

In brief: No pain, happy mom

If it's comfortable, and you and baby are happy and satisfied afterwards, you're doing it perfectly!

In brief: No pain, happy mom

Dr. Roy Benaroch
Dr. Roy Benaroch
Dr. Shontae Buffington