My wife is a lactating mother who generally doesn't get much sleep and she's always complaining of dizziness and pains in body. Whats the cause?

Dr. Thomas Seck
In brief: Consider depression
I agree that dehydration is the most common reason for symptoms like these in a nursing mother, but post-partum depression can also present with physical complaints.
If pushingg fluids and eating well isn't helping then consider this as a possible cause.

In brief: Consider depression
Dr. Thomas Seck
Dr. Thomas Seck
2 comments
Dr. Katharine Garnier
sleep deprivation can cause lots of physical symptoms, as can anemia. I would recommend having some blood work done also to check her thryoid as some women have a transient underactive thyroid after delivery for up to a year or more. Is there anyway she can pump so you can help her being up to nurse at night? Some additional support at home so she can nap during the day might help also.
Dr. Thomas Seck
She seems very devoted to breastfeeding as long as possible. It may help if you point out that her milk supply will almost certainly suffer if she doesn't maximize her health.
Dr. Laura Webb
In brief: Dehydration
Lactating women need to ensure they stay hydrated enough for their own body as well as to make all the healthy breastmilk for their babies.
Breastfeeding women should be drinking every hour.. Keep a waterbottle by her side at all times! dehydration may cause dizziness, as well as leg cramps. These symptoms may also be from electrolyte imbalances, so i would recommend calling your OB as well.

In brief: Dehydration
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Nguyen Nguyen
May I add that, since you're a caring husband for asking the question here, you may help her get as much sleep as she can by getting up when the baby cries, get the baby ready to nurse and take him/her to your wife. I did it when my kids were babies while working full time as a pediatrician during the day. Your wife will appreciate the extra rest she gets.
Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Worrisome
I referred this to many types of physicians for an answer. In any case, you can call the office of the doctor who delivered her for more information.
That is typically the place to start for individualized health information.

In brief: Worrisome
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Mary Ann Block
General Practice
In brief: Hormone imbalance
Post-partum depression is usually caused from a hormone imbalance.
See a physician who will evaluate the hormones and correct the balance if that is the problem.

In brief: Hormone imbalance
Dr. Mary Ann Block
Dr. Mary Ann Block
Dr. Mary David
Post-partum thyroid dysfunction is also a possibility that should be explored
Dr. Renee Harris
In brief: Many things
Sometimes the low estrogen levels associated with nursing seem to aggravate the joint pains.
I have found in some cases addi g low doses of Estrogens seem to help ( it also helps with postpartum depression). The problem may be a decreased milk production, however.

In brief: Many things
Dr. Renee Harris
Dr. Renee Harris
Dr. Pam Yoder
In brief: Thanx for added info
"the doctor that delivered her just tells her to eat more which is what i tell her and she does more but the pains don't go away.
These days she's suffering from pains in the soles of her feet and her hands and the back of the rib cage." eating better and sleeping more are good. Having a helper in the home occasionally is beneficial so that the woman has an opportunity to relax and go see a doctor.

In brief: Thanx for added info
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Ahmed Yousry
In brief: Sleep deprivation
Patient should take enough sleep.
If she still complains of the same symptoms, she should be worked up for anemia, thyroid problems, etc.

In brief: Sleep deprivation
Patient should take enough sleep.
Dr. Ahmed Yousry
Dr. Ahmed Yousry
Dr. Leo Eschbach jr
In brief: Dizziness
Nonspecific dizziness is commonly related to hyperventilation.
Dizziness that accompanies hyperventilation, anxiety, or depression often builds up gradually, waxes and wanes over a period of 20 minutes or longer, and gradually resolves. There may be no sensation of "air hunger" since these patients are hyperventilating only to a slight degree. This usually occurs in settings that are at least mild.

In brief: Dizziness
Dr. Leo Eschbach jr
Dr. Leo Eschbach jr
Dr. Jane Van Dis