How can I get rid of redness in a popped pimple?

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology

In brief: Leave it alone

If you hadn't popped the pimple in the first place it would be gone by now.
I know how hard it is to leave pimples alone, but you'll be surprised how much less "angry" your face looks when you use your prescribed treatment and keep your hands off. I tell all my patients, "your face is not on strike, you don't have to pick it.".

In brief: Leave it alone

Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dr. Joseph Eastern

In brief: Time

Usually the redness associated with a ruptured pustule resolves with just a little time.
However, if it doesn't get better or it gets worse then there may be an infection developing.

In brief: Time

Dr. Donald Shenenberger
Dr. Donald Shenenberger
Dr. Paul Williams

In brief: Redness pimple

The redness is a sign of infection.
Warm compresses might help but a topical antibiotic - benzyl peroxide may help. Sometimes - if you need it resolved quickly - ie for a picture - a doctor can inject a small amount of steroid into the area but that should be limited to special situations.

In brief: Redness pimple

The redness is a sign of infection.
Dr. Paul Williams
Dr. Paul Williams