My doctor put me on Lexapro (escitalopram) and the muscle relaxer zanaflex. My question is it safe to take together without causing serotonin syndrome?

Possibly with EKG. The medication Zanaflex works by working at norepinephrine receptors and Lexapro (escitalopram) works primarily through interacting with serotonin receptors. The precipitation of serotonin syndrome in the context of their concomitant administration would not be predicted by anyone. However, Lexapro (escitalopram) and Zanaflex together can change your heart rhythm and so you may talk to a doctor about the role for an ekg.