Hi, I have a wound on my ankle and it is there since 4 years , it irritates me very much sometimes but so far it has not healed , used dermovate?

Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: See your doctor

Any wound which has not healed in 4 weeks, let alone 4 years, needs to be evaluated by your doctor. It could represent a cancer or another serious condition which needs to be addressed.

In brief: See your doctor

Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Donald Shenenberger
Certainly so. Diabetes also needs to be considered. And given a patient's travel history things like leishmaniasis and other unusual infectious diseases need to be considered.
Dr. Bac Nguyen

In brief: Get a biopsy

Chronic nonhealing wound, and steroid use, .
..This is concerning.. In rare case, skin cancer such as basal cell can ulcerate and thus prompting topical cream treatment. If you are not a diabetic etc..You definitely should have this checked out for a possible biopsy to see why... Good luck.

In brief: Get a biopsy

Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Eczema typically does not ulcerate...it may crack in flexor/extensor areas, but not ulceration. 3 responded and 1 not? Why? If it is, it should at least get better! I would get a biopsy!
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Non-healing wound

Don't mess around with this one.
See a doctor to make sure it is not a cancer. Things should heal after a few weeks so any non-healing wound needs to be evaluated by a physician.

In brief: Non-healing wound

Don't mess around with this one.
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Non-healing leg sore

There are several reasons why a leg wound may not heal.
These may be attributable to arterial, venous, lymphatic, neurologic changes as well as due to a tumor or infection to name a few. This cannot be determined here. Some solutions are simple but require compliance and other solutions may require a culture or biopsy. In any event you should be evaluated by a physician to guide the proper route.

In brief: Non-healing leg sore

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. David Rosen
Phlebology

In brief: Chronic ankle ulcer

I agree with all of the previous docs.
With respect to my specialty, phlebology (assessment/treatment of chronic vein disease), ankle ulcers may be related to venous insufficiency (as suggested by drs harris/placik). In the course of your workup by a doc, make sure that such a possibility is explored. It is possible to heal ulcers in weeks if underlying venous insufficiency is properly addressed.

In brief: Chronic ankle ulcer

I agree with all of the previous docs.
Dr. David Rosen
Dr. David Rosen
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: See a doctor

It is not normal for a wound to heal for 4 years.
There could be a vascular disease causing this. You should see a doctor for evaluation and referral.

In brief: See a doctor

Dr. Francisco Agullo
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Dr. Steven Harris
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Needs good exam

This "wound" should be evaluated promptly by someone with experience in treating leg ulcers.
It may be a skin cancer (easily cured by simple surgery), it might be a true ulcer coming from too little blood reaching the ankle due to clogged arteries, or, most commonly, it might be a venous ulcer caused by varicose or otherwise damaged veins. See a doctor soon!

In brief: Needs good exam

Dr. Steven Harris
Dr. Steven Harris
Dr. David Wishnew
Wound care

In brief: Nonhealing wound

Non healing wounds are always worrisome.
Sometimes, a wound comes to our attention after a minor trauma, and we associate that trauma with causing the wound. Frankly, however, a wound that has been present for so long is more suspect as being a skin cancer than as a result of a minor injury. I would see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. A biopsy of that wound may be necessary.

In brief: Nonhealing wound

Dr. David Wishnew
Dr. David Wishnew
Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care

In brief: Lipoprotein a levels

It could be vasculitis due to high lipoprotein a levels - they cause itching check your levels if high need Niacin in high dose 2gm per day use Niacin flush to prevent flushing reaction.

In brief: Lipoprotein a levels

Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery

In brief: Must have biopsy

After thorough history & physical.

In brief: Must have biopsy

After thorough history & physical.
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Todd Sisto