I have cellulitis, and my doctor has prescribed 4g of cephalexin/day for 4 days. Shouldn't the treatment be for 7-10 days as I have read online?

Dr. Andrew Malinchak

In brief: Cephalexin

You probably should call your doctor about this concern.
Maybe a mistake was made in presecribing the quantity.

In brief: Cephalexin

Dr. Andrew Malinchak
Dr. Andrew Malinchak
Dr. Martin Raff
Appropriate duration of therapy for many infections has not necessarily been clearly established. Guidelines are effective for the majority of patients, but clinical outcome is the gold standard. Are you better? If not, reassessment is indicated.
Dr. Peter Wiggin
Wound care

In brief: Maybe

Without actual cultures of causative organism then starting with a broad spectrum antibiotic may be ok.
I would probably recommend follow up in four days and either extending the cephalosporin or consider a MRSA drug if not responding.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Peter Wiggin
Dr. Peter Wiggin
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine