I twisted my knee and now its swollen, bruised and very painful. How should I treat it?

Dr. Katharine Garnier

In brief: Rice

It sounds like you did tear something, since it is bruised.
The treatment, until you can get to a doctor, is rest, ice, compression, and elevation....Ice is recommended for the first 48 hours, after that usually heat. You do need to see a doctor, and likely have the fluid tapped, an xray, and maybe an mri.

In brief: Rice

Dr. Katharine Garnier
Dr. Katharine Garnier

In brief: Rest, Ice, Elevate

Basic first aid for joint sprains/strains is rice - rest, ice, compress (usually using an ace wrap), & elevate the joint.
Anti-inflamitories such as Ibuprofen or Naproxen can help as well. If the swelling & pain persist more than a few days, particularly if things start to get worse, you need to see your dr. If you think you may have broken a bone or torn a ligamant, you may need to go to er.

In brief: Rest, Ice, Elevate

Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
Dr. Aaron Milstone