Feb 5/12 my m#5 broke in half in my left foot. I am in an airboot, but have a lump where it snapped in half, lots of pain, what is non-union, how high?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Let me try to help

Fracture 5 metatarsal shaft is very difficult to heal.
The reason for that, the bone there is thick and not very active like the ends of that bone. Having air boat in my opinion is not the best treatment, unless there is reason for it. The lump there could sign the bone move out of place, that also explain why you have a lot of pain, nonunion rate is high if not treated correctly.Good luck, thanks, .

In brief: Let me try to help

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied

In brief: Foot fracture

Non-union means the 2 parts of the bone aren't growing back together. A lump at the fracture site, even 2 weeks later, isn't unusual, & may persist for months, although it should quit hurting.
The risk of non-union depends on your health status.

In brief: Foot fracture

Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
Dr. William Forsythe