Is optic neuritis sometimes caused by multiple sclerosis?

No. Though optic neuritis might be the first presentation in someone who will develop ms, there are many times when it is simply optic neuritis. A thorough history and examination by a neurologist can help address for you whether you might already have ms, or simply optic neuritis.
SURELY. Often presenting first sign of MS, and about 60% of cases of optic neuritis wind up becoming clinically definite MS. But if ON is associated with but one MRI lesion, there is an 80% chance of definite MS by 14 yrs.