My pediatrics gave pepcide for acid reflex to my 5 weeks old kid. Is here any side effect in long run when kid grows.?

Not Known. Probably not, but the treatment has not existed long enough to accumulate the experience and research necessary to know for sure. However we do know that uncontrolled gerd can cause serious long term damage!
No. The 1st three yr of your child are critical (specially the 1st year) for his brain development and physical health. He needs to get the proper nutrition, iron, vitamins. Work with doctor, get vaccinations, check iron and lead level when indicated. Pepcid (famotidine) may help with his nutrition (by preventing acid reflux, vomiting etc) therefore helping brain development.
Pepcid (famotidine) not for long. Pepcid (famotidine) and other antacids are commonly used in infants with sever reflux. They are well tolerated by most, but are not intended for long-term use. Long-term use may be associated with nutritional deficits. Any medication may have side effects. The risk of the medication must be weighed against the benefits the medication provides.
Unsure. Only recently have we started using acid suppression medication in infants-both h2 and ppi's. The long term effects are still unclear. There are suggestions of side effects, but nothing conclusively proven.
Possibly. Depends on how long your child is/will be on the medication. There is growing evidence that reducing gastric acidity long-term may contribute to c. Difficile diarrhea. This effect is more prevalent with proton pump inhibitors, but may also be connected to h2 antagonists. I'm assuming the child will be using the med only short term; so this should not be an issue.
Pepcid (famotidine) Pepcid (famotidine) (generic name: Famotidine) would likely need the dose to be adjusted as your child grows. As with any medication, there can be side effects which can occur early in the course of treatment or at any point within the treatment course. Talk with your pediatrician about side effects to watch for and how to evaluate the effectiveness of the medication. Always give medication as directed.
Use caution. There's been concern about using acid blocking agents in young babies such as increased likelihood for respiratory infections. If baby is not loosing weight and is well appearing, time is all that's needed because 100% of newborns spit up. E.g. it's normal. Unless it is either projectile, continuous, tainted with blood or bile and associated with distention of the stomach I would just watch.
Usually no. Usually Pepcid (famotidine) has no long term side effects but untreated gasgtroesophageal reflux can result in scaring to the esophagus that can later turn cancerous.
Agree with previous. This class of medicine is used very frequently in infants for reflux. It is very important for the child to be comfortable and able to tolerate their feeds for proper nutrition, growth and brain development. I would periodically readdress the need for the medicine as she continues to gain weight every few weeks.
Low risk. Pepcid (famotidine) is used to treat pediatric acid reflux. There are always risks to medications but you must weigh them against the risks of doing nothing. Pepcid (famotidine) risks are low - rare cases of bleeding issues and oral irritation. Untreated reflux however can cause constant irritation to the swallowing tube leading to feeding problems and occasionally ulcer development.
No. The doc thought your child may have been coughing because of stomach contents coming up from stomach and irritating back of throat and causing cough. The medicine is just to reduce amount of acid in stomach and thus the irritating value. At some point you will stop giving it. No long term effects and hopefully many good short term benefits!
No. I typically start with other medications such as Zantac (ranitidine) and then move to Prevacid if need better acid control. But these medications are generally well tolerated with no lasting effects.
No long term effects. No there are no long term effects from use of Pepcid (famotidine) for 5 weeks baby Pepcid (famotidine) and Ranitidine hav been used for few years for GERD in infants and there have been no reports of any serious side effects. If not used and infant continues to vomit it may cause growth retardation and Nutritional deficiency. Dose for bebies less than 3months is 0.5mgm/kgm You can try to wean baby of as the symptoms improv.
No. These acid reducers have been used commonly for infant reflux problems for quite some time. They can be very effective and don't usually have any short- or long-term side effects.
Potentially. Most children are not on this long term.
See below. For me, 5 weeks is a bit early but it is approved. In terms of se, the common reported ones are headache, dizziness, diarrhea and constipation and taste changes. There are multiple extremely rare but notable ses reported. As for long term se, none are mentioned in the pdr but that doesn't mean reports will not eventually surface.
Reflux medication. Normally pepcid is considered a very safe medication for babies with bad reflux to take over the short term. In my 20 year career, I have not seen long-term side effects that I could attribute to pepcid use in infancy. If you are concerned though, your pediatrician is the best person to answer the question.
Acid reflux. That isn't advised to give capsules to a child that young. Doubt long term effects though.
Pepcid (famotidine) side effects. Side effects known:Headache, dizziness, constipation or diarrheamay occur. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these rare but very serious side effects occur: easy bleeding/bruising, fast/slow/irregular heartbeat, signs of infection (e.g., fever, persistent sore throat, cough), mental/mood changes (e.g., agitation, confusion, depression, hallucinations), seizure. Serious allergic reaction:anaphylaxis.
Yes. Long term use has proven to cause decreased magnesium levels. This is infrequent in children and infants but can happen. If you infant is formula fed then getting magnesium through that but if breat fed would recommend multivitamin drops once daily. Also rarely infant can develop alopecia w use of antacids.
Generally Safe. While every medication has potential side effects Pepcid (famotidine) is fairly safe and very often used in this situation. It is basically an acid blocker and is the first step in therapy for treating acid reflux. It is definitely safer than medications such as omeprazole and other "proton pump inhibitors" though those sometimes become necessary.
Pepcid (famotidine) It is safe to use it for presumed physiologic reflux. Keep in mind that the use of such medications is for symptom relief (excessive fussiness, crying etc) and not to stop the reflux from happening. Also Pepcid and Zantac (ranitidine) alike may have less impact on symptoms after a few weeks due to a phenomenon called tachyplaxis and may need to be switched to a different category of medications ie PPIs.