I broke my collarbone last week and it seems to be healing well. Ice has been helpful relief, but when should I switch to heat?

Dr. Andrew DeGruccio
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Until swelling down

Continue ice until swelling and bruising under control.
The 24-48 hr layman's rule is a fallacy. Around the fracture you have torn tissues that bleed and weep fluid for days, like an open wound. Ice reduces the blood flow to the area, thus reducing persistent swelling and bruising. Once swelling resolved, then heat if you desire.

In brief: Until swelling down

Dr. Andrew DeGruccio
Dr. Andrew DeGruccio
Dr. Steven Hill

In brief: Usually after 24-48

Usually you can switch to heat after 24-48 hours and heat will help with increasing range of motion.

In brief: Usually after 24-48

Dr. Steven Hill
Dr. Steven Hill
Dr. Marsha Davis