1 doctor weighed in:

Can atopic dermatitis (eczema) go away with age?

1 doctor weighed in
Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Often but not always

70% of the children lose their ad by age 7, but the other 30% don't.
Ad may also develop in adulthood but this is much less frequent and may be a totally different disease. One thing seems clear-nearly all ad patients have dry skin , the result of a defective skin layer causing water loss. Moisturizer immediately after bathing is a must.

In brief: Often but not always

70% of the children lose their ad by age 7, but the other 30% don't.
Ad may also develop in adulthood but this is much less frequent and may be a totally different disease. One thing seems clear-nearly all ad patients have dry skin , the result of a defective skin layer causing water loss. Moisturizer immediately after bathing is a must.
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Christopher Crosby
Board Certified, Dermatology
13 years in practice
93K people helped
Continue
111,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors