How do I know if I have mastitis?

Dr. Laura Webb

In brief: Pain, hot, red, ill

The most common symptoms include pain or tenderness of the breast, redness of the skin- often in a wedge shaped pattern, warm feeling when touched, general feelings of illness and a fever.
It typically happens in the first few weeks of nursing and is generally only on one side. See your doctor to confirm the diagnosis and get treatment.

In brief: Pain, hot, red, ill

Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Michael Coogan

In brief: Sore lump

You will notice a red, warm, tender lump in the breast, and you may have fever and feel bad in general.
This is not a reason to stop nursing, but you should contact your doctor to report the situation.

In brief: Sore lump

Dr. Michael Coogan
Dr. Michael Coogan